Be a better leader; build a strong workplace culture
Being a better leader and building a strong workplace culture is crucial to having a better business.
Have you ever considered whether your workplace is toxic? With the average person spending more than 40,000 hours of their life at work, a workplace should be an enjoyable place to be.
We all have bad days, but if the following bells ring… your workplace may be toxic.
1. A lack of trust between owners and the team.
Is there a sense of ‘us’ and ‘them’? Everyone should feel part of the team.
2. No Core Values.
Or, worse still, Core Values which aren’t being lived into.
3. After meeting meetings.
Those chats after a meeting where team members go on to discuss the meeting or criticise decisions made.
4. Highly stressful interactions.
Disagreements will happen from time to time, but these should be the exception, not the norm.
5. Team members and owners mistreating each other.
They may be working in self-serving ways rather than benefiting the team and business.
6. No team buy-in to the core purpose or the business’s goals.
Or, an absence of purpose or goals completely.
To create a stronger and happier workplace culture, consider the following points:
- Develop your Core Values, with help from your team.
- Define your purpose; why you exist for your customers – and make it clear to your team how their roles deliver on your purpose.
- Make your Core Values and purpose highly visible so your team know them and hold each other accountable to living into them.
- Set annual and 90 day goals for each team member so that the sum of the individuals’ goals can deliver on your overall Business Plan.
- Celebrate success and recognise team members for great performance.
- Meet regularly with the team and give everyone the chance to be heard.
- Avoid being held ransom by toxic employees by showing them the ‘door of opportunity’.
A toxic culture will inhibit the success of your business. Take an honest look at your culture and make changes to help build a strong workplace culture.
Need help developing your Core Values or your purpose? We can help!
“Culture eats strategy for breakfast.” – Peter Drucker